Re: [ARSCLIST] cleaning lacquers ("acetate") - palmitic acid deposit

Hello Duane and All,

We used the Disc Doctor's (Dr. Duane Goldman) brushes
and solutions on a project that mean't cleaning over
200 16" acetates, many of which had the white palmitic
coating that has been described.   We had total
success in being able to get clean and quiet discs as
a result of using the brushes and solution, and I
still have a bottle and brushes which I use on LPs to
prepare them for digitizing.   So, in MHO, the stuff
works, brilliantly!   Why take the chance with harsher
washes when this process does the job?   We had some
pretty heavy deposits at times, so we had to clean the
those discs more than once, but were always able to
come up with a quiet final result and excellent
fidelity.

In reading the Indiana University PDF, I find it
ironic that they use Disc Doctor brushes and solution
during the process, but find it necessary to use
ammonia solutions on top of that.

Rod Stephens (of the Family Theater radio broadcasts
project)

http://www.dlib.indiana.edu/projects/sounddirections/papersPresent/index.shtml