Re: [ARSCLIST] Scotch Master 90 cassette sticking

The only other thing I will add is about the shell itself.  If the shell
is glued together, rather than screwed, take care when rehousing the
cassette.  You will have to break open the shell along the seam line
being careful not to damage the tape inside and trying not to let the
tape unravel off the spool.

Other than that, good luck!
Cheers
Marie

Marie O'Connell
Analogue Tape Preservation Archivist
Sound Archives/Nga Taonga Korero
PO Box 1531
Radio New Zealand House
Level 1, 51 Chester Street West
Christchurch
Phone  +64 3 374 8443
Fax  + 64 3 374 8448
www.soundarchives.co.nz
--- My opinions do not necessarily represent those of my institutions
---

>>> Tbroo@xxxxxxx 14/07/2008 1:51 a.m. >>>
My apologies if this has been answered in the past, but can anyone
suggest
how to get Scotch Master 90 cassettes that are sticking to play through
at
least  once for transfer to a new medium?

These are consumer cassettes from the 1970s or 80s in which the tape
winds
around a fixed (not rotating) metal post, across the recording/playback
pad,
around another post at the other corner of the front of the shell, and
then
back  to the takeup pack. The tape stops dead repeatedly, especially in
mid-reel.

There does not seem to be any evidence of flaking and when disassembled
 (the
shell is held together by phillips head screws) the interior is clean.
My
suspicion is that the tape has dried out and is sticking either to
itself or to
the metal posts. I've seen some suggestions that problematic cassette
tapes
be  lifted out and placed in a new shell, but would this help if the
tape
itself is  the problem? Would some type of lubricant work?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Tim Brooks

**************Get the scoop on last night's hottest shows and the live
music