From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List on behalf of Eric Jacobs
Sent: Wed 5/28/2008 17:55
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Glass Records
On Wednesday, May 28, 2008 8:20 AM, Marcos Sueiro Bal wrote:

Of 1,925 with metal substrate, 375 have evidence of palmitic acid (19%). Of 123 glass-based, 22 have evidence of palmitic acid (18%).

I would venture to guess that the severity of the PA on the glass substrate discs would be less so than on the metal substrate discs
(assuming that both types of discs were stored under similar conditions). That's been my experience at least.

Glass is an insulator, and metal is a conductor.  This means that
metal will respond to temperature fluctuations more rapidly than
glass, subjecting the laminate to wider and more rapid temperature
fluctuations.  It is these temperature fluctuations that cause the
exudation of the plasticizer, which then leads to the PA formation.
Thus the metal based discs will exude more plasticizer than the
glass based discs under identical circumstances.

Eric Jacobs

The Audio Archive, Inc.
T. 408.221.2128
F. 408.549.9867
mailto:EricJ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Experience the British Library online at www.bl.uk
The British Library's new interactive Annual Report and Accounts 2006/07 : www.bl.uk/mylibrary
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this e-mail and notify the postmaster@xxxxx : The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or copied without the sender's consent. The statements and opinions expressed in this message are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of the British Library. The British Library does not take any responsibility for the views of the author. *************************************************************************=