[ARSCLIST] Columbia Dead Wax Markings

I received the following?question from Jay Bruder about?odd
markings in the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions of Columbia 14615-D ("The
Train to Glory" by the Rust College Quartet). He attached a jpg which won't
reproduce here but which I can forward to anyone who'd like to see it.

?

Can anyone shed any light on what these markings might mean?? -? Tim B.

?

>>Dick suggested you might be
able to help me understand the numbers in the dead wax of this Columbia release
from October 1931. Image file attached.? The material was recorded in
Memphis on 10 December 1927.? I do not understand the significance of the? D over 4? in the 9 o clock position and the S in the 3 o clock
position. What other codes should I expect to find in these locations? In
reviewing my 20s and 30s Columbia releases, I find marks in the locations are
pretty uncommon.

Sincerely

Jay
Bruder