Re: [ARSCLIST] [ARSCLIST) associated/muzak,

I read an account of the birth of Muzak years ago..anyone know if it was in Billboard or Discoveries? (Not Goldmine, I never read that one.) The idea was to send background music to subscribers possibly via telephone lines..

All sorts of weird articles out there, but this one seems to sum it up best.
http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Muzak

Kidding aside, I believe there was a "Mr. Zak" whose name appears in notes about recording sessions like the Fats Waller sides.

dl

Dan Nelson wrote:
Thats interesting.... was it MuZaks intent to
sell/lease music they recorded for background to
radio stations for secondary revenue source ? or
did they just have all these orchestras in studio
and cut material just for radio ? I was under the impression that Associated was an
independant transcription service because of the number of dance bands in their library. From what you
say Associated was just a spin off from Muzak
background business, interesting .....

thanks don ward

Muzak started out as background, with the transcription service growing
out of it.
dl