Re: [ARSCLIST] [ARSCLIST) world/decca, associated/muzak, was there a fire sale of trans co's

SESAC is not "just lying there".
Most of it was purchased several years ago by Richard Weise of Bear Family, in Germany.
Doug

Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 00:50:18 -0400
From: David Lennick <dlennick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST) world/decca, associated/muzak, was there a fire sale of trans co's

My understanding is that Decca bought World to get at their superior recording
technology at 33RPM, which had previously gotten CBS-owned Columbia re-started
in 1939. World Program Service wasn't a background service but a valuable
source of high quality recordings for radio stations. Ever heard any of the
Decca sides issued on World during the 4 years or so they owned it? The
"Oklahoma Suite" with Wallenstein conducting sounds fabulous on transcription,
mickey mouse on 78s (it's also an alternate take). And Muzak started out as
background, with the transcription service growing out of it.

George W. Buck bought up World and LangWorth, I believe. Standard, SESAC and
Thesaurus are just lying there (might NBC still own Thesaurus? would it even
know?). Capitol still owns its transcriptions and licenses the ones of jazz
interest to Mosaic.

dl