Re: [ARSCLIST] question about remote recordings from the 20-30s

Dear Sam,
For starters, I'd suggest the article /Hillbilly Music Source and Symbol/ by Archie Green. It is available online at:

http://www.lib.unc.edu/mss/sfc1/hillbilly/HTML/ArchieGreen/greenHome.htm

The Southern Folklife Collection also has oral histories with a number of the early A&R men including Ralph Peer.

Best,

Steve Weiss
Director, Southern Folklife Collection
www.lib.unc.edu/mss/sfc1
(919) 962-1345

sam briger wrote:

Hi-
I was recommended to this list by someone at the American Folikfe Center. I am doing some research on how remote recordings were done by commercial record companies in the 20s and 30s. Specifically, I am interested in how record companies went about making recordings of musicians in southern rural areas in that time period. I heard that companies like Columbia, Victor and Okeh would do remote recordings.

If there is any book that someone would direct me to or if someone who is knowledgeable about this subject would be willing to answer some of my questions, I would appreciate it greatly.

Thank you very much,