Re: [ARSCLIST] DAT repair/transfer services

Hi Richard & Everyone,

Chace Audio (www.chace.com) can transfer defective or damaged DAT tapes, or those recorded on "out of spec" machines.  The following is from the April 2008 issue of CHACERS, our company newsletter:

***********************
DAT’s a Good Idea

Don’t be fooled by the headline. As reported in Chacers, September 2002 the DAT cassette format is obsolete. So what is the good idea?

Just like the ubiquitous DA-88 DTRS (Digital Tape Recording System) DAT cassettes are now exhibiting playback errors and incompatibility problems. The result is digital clicks, ticks, and worse – complete audio mutes during transfers. The solution to recovering the audio is the Chace DAT Recovery Process, a cousin to our DA-88 technology.

The DAT Recovery Process allows the audio engineer to manipulate the factory settings that govern tracking, the RF envelope and tape guide alignment. By manipulating these parameters the playback deck can be made to match the non-standard settings of the original recorder. Because DAT recording heads have not been readily available for nearly five years, even recent tapes made on decks with worn-out heads will exhibit playback errors. So do not be lulled into complacency by more recent dates on DAT tapes—they just might be the most problematic.

It cannot be stressed enough, important recordings on DAT cassettes must be prioritized and scheduled for migration. The time is not too distant when the DAT format will move from obsolescence to extinction, and DAT’s not good.

For more information about our DAT transfers, please contact Todd Gruber at (818) 842-8346 or toddgruber@xxxxxxxxx

Thank you!

Michele Winn

Michele Winn
Film Preparation Manager
Chace Audio for DVD, Film, and Broadcast
201 S. Victory Blvd.
Burbank, CA  91502
(818) 842-8346 (p)
(818) 842-8353 (f)