Re: [ARSCLIST] NY Times: Researchers Play Tune Recorded before Edison

There are some incredible sounding Diamond Discs, particularly the ones made with a gigantic horn..amazing bass on a few piano recordings. And while we're on the subject, OKeh made better sounding records than Victor many times, and Columbia and Brunswick achieved amazing results in 1923 and 1924. Victor itself was capable of making better recordings than it could hear in the playbacks. Check out the very first Stokowski discs..there's bass in them, but the engineers couldn't hear it so double basses and low drums were eliminated from future orchestral recordings (including the first electricals).

dl

David Breneman wrote:
--- Howard Friedman <hsf318@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

IF diamond discs WERE superior to Berliner's recordings, AND I
doubt it...

Ever done a side by side comparison?

David Breneman david_breneman@xxxxxxxxx

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ