Re: [ARSCLIST] Audiodisc acetates with the while filmy surface

Hi Tom,

The whitish substance is a product of chemical deterioration. My experience suggests

1) Try playing discs as they are -- sometimes the goo doesn't sound (though it may clog the stylus and cause mis-tracking, in which case you can play each side in segments). You can try playing the discs wet, too, though usually the goo prevents this method from doing any good. ALWAYS copy the discs this way first, before any cleaning, in case the lacquer is decayed enough to be ready to fall off the base.

2) The goo is difficult to remove. I've had best results using Lane Audio's fluid with a painting pad to apply, as they suggest. This method may take repeated soakings and cleanings (scrubbings) in order to work. The results can be variable, depending on the degree of degradation and can, alas, take the lacquer off the base, hence the warning to copy before cleaning.

Good luck, Richard