Re: [ARSCLIST] USB Turntables

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 4:22 PM, Christina Zamon <
Christina_Zamon@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Our archives recently received 800 LPs from a donor and we are looking
> into getting a turntable for access purposes.  We would like to have a
> turntable that we can use for patrons to listen and for creating
> reference/service copies on to CD or into a digital file so as not to
> wear out or ruin the originals.  I've looked at several USB turntables
> from Ion, Stanton, and Numark with various reviews and opinions.  Is
> there anyone out there already doing something similar and what type of
> turntable are you using?  We would like to spend less than $500.
>

> Any suggestions?
>

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> Christina J. Zamon
>
> Head of Archives and Special Collections
>
> Emerson College
>
> 120 Boylston Street
>
> Boston, MA  02116
>
> Tel: (617) 824-8679
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>

> Hi Christina-I'm sure you will hear from far more competent archivists
than I, but I do have the Ion USB turntable, and find that, with Audacity,
it makes a decent digital copy of an LP, without any apparent damage to said
LP.  I know from reading this list that serious practitioners prefer other
methods for digitizing recordings.  I have found that it takes a bit of time
to make an adequate LP copy; the raw copy is done in real time, so however
long the LP is, that's how long it takes.  After that there are other time
consuming chores, such as click and pop resolution.  I would think that you
would not want to use your LP's for distribution to patrons.  CD's are so
easy to make and re-make, and iPod like gadgets are so popular. Your sound
files could also be accessed from a computer, using something like iTunes.

--
Frank B Strauss, DMD