Re: [ARSCLIST] Early Stereo 1881 and 1931 (Was - Dynadoodoo

Mike,
I know they were called binaural. What's the difference? They had 2
different tracks that were developed from mics on each side of the music
group being recoreded.

David Gnau wrote:
> The first commercial stereo that I'm familiar with was done by Cook
> Labs. The LP was divided in half for the left and right tracks. The
tone
> arm looked like a large tuning fork (each cartridge picked up one
> track). When it was right it was great. If one of the heads was off
one
> groove it was horrible requiring an adjustment to a small adjusting
> screw which would move the heads either closer together or further
> apart.

Technically, the Cook recordings were binaural, not stereo. I first
heard one ("Gulls and Buoys") in late 1953.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/