Re: [ARSCLIST] What is this,and how do you play it ?

I don't know much about wind up phonographs,but that brass,flat spindle certainly is unusual.

Pretty machine he had there.

                                  Roger

Marie OConnell <Marie.OConnell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Try this - http://www.collectorsworldwest.com/lookup.php?id=73

Cheers

Marie O'Connell
Analogue Tape Preservation Archivist
Sound Archives/Nga Taonga Korero
PO Box 1531
Radio New Zealand House
Level 1, 51 Chester Street West
Christchurch
Phone  +64 3 374 8443
Fax  + 64 3 374 8448
www.soundarchives.co.nz

>>> thorenstd124@xxxxxxxxx 12/03/2008 7:30 a.m. >>>
http://members.aol.com/clctrmania/cm-aretino.html

I still want to see what the turntable looked like.

                             Roger
David Lennick  wrote: As Tyrone has correctly
pointed out, Aretino drew on a couple of other labels
besides Columbia. The large center hole doesn't go anywhere near the
music,
since it's well within the size of the normal large label of the time,
leaving
just enough room to print basic information.  Some of the off-brand
companies
did in fact paste their own labels over unsold Columbia pressings (and
drill
new holes?) but I'm sure there were client pressings made for them as
well,
even from masters that were still in the regular catalogs at full
price.

dl

Roger and Allison Kulp wrote:
> So these were basically the first "cut out" records ?
>
> If I understand you correctly.Aretino bought out Coulmbias stock of
deleted titles,bored out these big holes,and put their own labels on
them ? Didn't they care,that they might be cutting off the last little
bit of the music,and the people who bought these would complain about it
?

> Is there anyplace online that has a picture of one of these Aretino
machines ?

>                                         Roger
>
> David Lennick  wrote: You center it very, very carefully..! Aretino
was one of those small labels in

http://cgi.ebay.com/UNUSUAL-EARLY-78-ARETINO-Large-Post-Hole-one-sided_W0QQitemZ230229002095QQihZ013QQcategoryZ38027QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

>> I have one,I plan to sell.
>>
>> Oh,and I lowered the price on that other thing by half.
>>
>>                                           Roger

>> Looking for last minute shopping deals?  Find them fast with Yahoo!
Search.

Search.