Re: [ARSCLIST] Editorial on Radio Broadcast Copyrights

Frank Strauss wrote:

Do you think that today's music consumer might hear the music on the air and
then find a way to get the music without paying, or pay for it in a way that
would deny money making it to the artist/record producer?

People are inspired to acquire a recording by many factors; surely, some buying is prompted by airplay (audio or video). Once the decision is made to acquire, the mode depends on many things including opportunity and importance of audio quality. For example, I am offering selections from three stereo recordings at my WWW site this week - all in low-rate monaural. I believe most of my visitors will be satisfied by that selection and that quality; if someone wants to get more of either, he will have a slight problem: forty-year-old LPs of limited interest even when new do not often show up even on eBay.

Note that one factor in the difference between classical and other genres is that in many cases audio quality is essential to enjoyment. Even a well-digitized Bruckner symphony can easily obscure details in the inner voices. FM broadcast at best gives general guidance with its limited dynamic and frequency ranges.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/