Re: [ARSCLIST] Replating CDs

Don Cox wrote:
On 03/03/08, Steven Smolian wrote:
As a lad, I operated a large vacuum metalizer, making shiny silvery
iciles for a business. - thats over 50 years of technology ago.
Nonetheless, I doubt replating a CD could be done effectively.

Why not? The metal is evaporated onto the surface in a vacuum, just like you were doing.

Freshly-molded CDs get their reflective layer under clean-room conditions and the material is applied to a virgin surface. To properly re-coat an existing CD you'd need to remove the original label ink, lacquer and reflective coating, then prep the surface in a way that allowed the new coating to adhere properly, all without damaging the existing pits that the old coating was adhering to (assuming they weren't already damaged by the circumstances that made the disc need a re-coat in the first place).

It could probably be done, but if I had a disc that was worth the effort, I'd want to try the IRENE approach first: find a way to directly image the pits from the "clear" side of the disc and reconstruct the encoded data from that. Even if that side is so badly damaged it requires resurfacing before you can do any imaging, that process still poses less risk to the actual data than trying to chisel any remaining metal out of the pits themselves.