Re: [ARSCLIST] CD longevity (was Re: [ARSCLIST] Reel-to-reel tapes: storage conditions and potential content retrieval)

Properly manufactured, high quality CD discs can be bent 180 degrees without
cracking, while poor quality discs having lots of internal stress and high
birefringence will easily crack and even shatter. If you try this, wear
protective gear, especially for your eyes.

Good quality CD protective coatings, perhaps Roger's "laminations", are
quite permanent, while poor quality discs may have pinholes in the coatings
or metallization. The issue is variable manufacturing quality, not generic,
just as with most of the products that we buy.

Jerry
Media Sciences, Inc.