Re: [ARSCLIST] WOT plus?!--was: Collection for sale

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 6:05 PM, Roger and Allison Kulp <
thorenstd124@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am increasingly steering more and more away,from records graded
> VG+,unless it's a nonclassical record I really want,or I have bought records
> from the seller before.I have found VG+ has become a big fat grey area,and
> have bought some truly unplayable records in this grade.Moreso now,than in
> 2001,when I first started on eBay.
>

>                                             Roger
>
> "Steven C. Barr(x)" <stevenc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Per grading of used records...there are at least three inevitable truths
> involved (if not more?!)...
>
> 1) It is TOTALLY objective...and as such, dependent on whether the dealer
> involved wants to sell the record(s) for as much as possible...or whether
> he/she/it wants to establish a reputation for honesty above all else...
> INCLUDING income...!
>
> 2) There are several known systems competing...and more than a few
> dealers use their own proprietary systems, to boot...!
>
> 3) Few, if any, dealers actually take (or have) the time to audition
> every disc they sell all the way through..!
>
> So...the first step in establishing a business relationship with ANY
> record seller is to establish EXACTLY what/his/her/its grades mean in
> actual practice...! I have dealt with dealers who were
> UNDERenthusiastic...
> that is, I was safe in bidding on anything graded V upward (these were
> 78 dealers...). I have also dealt with dealers for whom E- and below
> meant a WELL-worn copy of a disc. So...after receiving one or two
> shipments from each dealer, I had a mental attitude as to what each
> party's grades actually indicated in "real world" terms...!
>
> As well, buying used microgroove discs...or, even worse, CD's...
> exponentially increases the risk...since AUDIBLE faults are not
> always VISIBLE damage...!
>
> Finally, add in the further fact that most collectors of current or
> recent formats want not only copies that play perfectly (or as near
> as possible)...but copies with labels unmarred by writing, stamped
> stuff, stickers...or even tears, scratches or fingerprints...!
>
> Perhaps what we need is an entirely-automated "record grader"...
> into which one inserts the disc he/she/it is planning to sell...
> and a digital read-out pops up "V++" or whatever applies to
> the disc...?! Of course, to work properly, this machine would
> have to have access to (1) a mint copy, as a digital sound file,
> of EVERY record ever made...and (2) likewise, as image files,
> copies of every record label ever issued!
>
> Hmm-m-m-m...
>
> Steven C. Barr

I just bought a lovely copy of Smetana's Ma Vlast that was graded near
mint.  It has a large scratch in the first cut, making it not nearly mint.
Fortunately it was only $.99, and I bought another LP from the same seller
using the same postage.  Not worth returning or giving a bad rating.  My
very first commercially recorded open reel tape was The Moldau; purchased in
1967.

--
Frank B Strauss, DMD