Re: [ARSCLIST] LC Record Cleaning Solution

On Monday, February 18, 2008 9:26 AM, Kurt Nauck wrote:

> The Library of Congress uses Triton XL-80N Surfactant in
> their record cleaning solution.
>
> This is no longer being manufactured. Is there a designated
> replacement?

Hi Kurt,

I don't know what the replacement would be, but you may still
be able to source it:

http://www.conservationresources.com/Main/section_31/section31_20.htm

I'm imagining that you probably need rather large quantities.
<smile>

I did not call the above folks to confirm if they still have
an inventory of Triton XL-80N.

A little bit of websurfing also turned up Triton XL-100 as an
alternative to Triton XL-80N for some industrial applications,
althouth the literature states that Triton XL-100 is less safe
than XL-80N (but they claim more safe than most other lab
chemicals, whatever "more safe" means).  You may want to research
the Triton XL-100.

The Disc Doctor cleaning solution, although a bit more costly,
has worked well for us.  Perhaps Duane would be willing to cut
you a deal on a 50 gallon drum...

Eric Jacobs
The Audio Archive, Inc.
tel: 408.221.2128