Re: [ARSCLIST] Villa-Lobos on Everest

Thanks a lot
FM
----- Original Message ----- From: "Rod Stephens" <savecal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2008 7:16 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Villa-Lobos on Everest

In checking the "liner notes" of the LP in my collection, I find the copyright year to be 1959. Also, on the back cover, it discusses Villa-Lobos' "Fantasia Concertante" which is the companion piece on the album with the Bach, "The "Fantasia Concertante" was given its world premiere by thirty-two members of The Violoncello Society, under the direction of Villa-Lobos, at Town Hall in New York on December 10, 1958, and shortly thereafter, these same artists recorded it for Everest." So, it would seem that perhaps the Bach "Preludes and Fugues" transcriptions were also recorded during that session, although it doesn't state that.

I hope that I've helped in establishing some kind of a closer approximation of the recording date.

Rod Stephens

David Lennick wrote:

The disc (SDBR 6024, LPBR 3024) is in the April 1959 Schwann, but I can't narrow it down further.

dl

Francesco Martinelli wrote:

Does anybody happen to know when Villa Lobos recorded his Bach transcriptions with the Violoncello Society?
FM