Re: [ARSCLIST] Distance between staggered heads

Dnjchi@xxxxxxx wrote:
In a message dated 12/31/2007 4:20:56 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, arclists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

At 02:35 PM 2007-12-31, Mwcpc6@xxxxxxx wrote:
One format that has always puzzled me was the early Brush Soundmirrors that
used a half track positioned in the middle of the tape.

Can't speak for this, but I recall in my Brush recorder, the erase was a magnet which swung into place when a recording was being made. Quite primitive, whot?
Don Chichester

The Utah "Magictape" did the same thing. The machine was an upright and took B-wind tape, and it ran through a trough with the heads coming down when engaged. I never saw a pressure pad till we bought the first Wollensak in '59. (And then we went through a process of copying all the old tapes, which was a mistake, but when you're 14 it's hard to argue with a paterfamilias who sees slow speeds and half track as an opportunity to re-use all the old paper tapes and get 4 times as much use out of them....then came quarter-track....)

dl