Re: [ARSCLIST] A gripe Was: A Holiday vision

You need to add Bill Monroe to this list.

Cary Ginell

In a message dated 12/29/2007 10:52:52 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

On  28/12/07, Steven C. Barr(x) wrote:

> I would also include Jimi  Hendrix as a "creator!" There are a VERY few
> artists who picked up  their instrument and started playing in a way
> than no one had  previously done...!

However, the influence from Coltrane is very  strong. It's a great pity
Hendrix died so young, it would have been  interesting to see how he
developed.

> I'd include Armstrong,  Ellington,
> possibly Goodman, Charlie Christian and/or Aaron "T-Bone"  Walker,
> probably Broonzy (but NOT RJ, who I feel is over-rated through  having
> been the main acoustic/country blues artist available in the UK  just
> as their blues fascination started...?!), Jimmie Rodgers,  Hank
> Williams I, Earl Hooker (Chicago bluesman who was playing that  "funk"
> rhythm in c.1959...!), Bob Dylan, the Beatles, James  Brown,
> Hendrix...and not much innovative in a larger use of that term  from
> there on...!
>
> I'm thinking of new musical  developments that completely changed the
> face of "popular music" when  they appeared...like ragtime c.1900 or

But wht does music have to be  "popular" to be important? Have Hugo
Wolf's songs ever been popular? Or  Mompou? Or Mabel Mercer?

I think the mass popularity of a few  musicians or bands was a phenomenon
of the 20C which has passed. There will  not IMO be another Glenn Miller,
Sinatra or Beatles.

But there are  many outstanding and original musicians around, some of
whom are fairly  widely known, other less so.

> so, jazz c.1915, swing and "big band"  in the early thirties, combo
> blues (late thirties, early forties) and  a few years later electric
> blues...rock'n'roll (1952, although to my  ears Louis Jordan was
> playing it on "Cal'donia" c.1941...!)...and the  evolution of
> country music from the folk "string bands" of the  mid-twenties,
> through Rodgers and into its "hillbilly heyday" in the  forties
> and early fifties...!
>
> In theory, we are  due...heck, OVERdue...for some brand new and
> totally different idea of  "pop music" that won't depend on much
> that went before it (and those  can only be recognized in retrospect!).
> Instead, we get "urban dance"  that is essentially James Brown's
> riffs computerized (to their loss!)  and endlessly repeated...?!

You won't find great food in the Ready  Meals freezer of your local
supermarket.

Regards
--
Don  Cox