[ARSCLIST] Piston Symphony #2 BSO

I'm entering this exchange somewhat late. Perhaps I can put this subject to bed.

Please note the following:

1. Koussevitzky did not conduct the Piston 2nd with the BSO (or ever, AFAIK.)

2. During Koussevitzky's lifetime, only G. Wallace Woodworth conducted the BSO in that work. See the data for the April 8, 1944 broadcast in context at:

http://www.koussevitzky.com/Html/BSO_1944.html

(Please excuse the unfinished state of the web site. I'll finish it someday.)

3. The Woodworth performance survives in several forms. Perhaps Roger
has the OWI 4 disc (7 sides) vinyl 12" 78rpm set of this. I have it.

See:
http://www.mostyn.com/Piston_2nd_GWW_BSO.jpg

It was also circulated by the Armed Forces Radio Service on 16" vinyls AFRS BSO #44.

I also have the broadcast on ABC/Blue Network 16" glass-base acetate linechecks, as well as a DAT copy of a set of Muzak 16" transcriptions, from a transfer that I made in the 1960s.

Please note that Koussevitzky did conduct and broadcast the Piston 3rd Symphony with the BSO. This has had a lot of circulation, especially as part of the Boston Symphony Transcription Trust series "The Art of Serge Koussevitzky." There is also a rehearsal broadcast as well as a private in-hall recording of a performance contemporary with the rehearsal broadcast.

Kevin Mostyn

Original posting follows:

Roger and Allison Kulp <thorenstd124@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'll say it again,I cannot recall which work is on my record,and I have other things to do rght now,than look fr it. It may be the symphony #1,for all I know.

                                         Roger

<big snip of rest of thread-KPM>