[ARSCLIST] FW: [ARSCLIST] Internet audio: What do you expect of it ?

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert J Hodge
Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2007 9:25 AM
To: 'jhartke@xxxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: RE: [ARSCLIST] Internet audio: What do you expect of it ?

When the transistor was first marketed as an amplifying device, it
suffered from its' ability to act like a switch- that is to say until
the signal at the base became high enough to make it conduct. Germanium
and early silicon based transistors had this anomalism.
I had a couple of those early amplifiers and got rid of them after
trying to live with them. At low signal levels, they sounded terrible.

As with anything of an early design, this problem was overcome with
better transistor design.

I have used mosfet power amplifiers now for many years and will never go
back to the tube units. Of course, even overdriving a mosfet unit will
sound terrible! Clipped is clipped.

I keep the tube units around, just in case.

Bob Hodge