To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2007 2:44 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Piston Symphony #2

Roger and Allison Kulp <thorenstd124@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

***I have not heard Piston himself conducting.I think there is a recording out there somewhere,of him,and The New York Philharmonic,but the only records of his stuff I have enjoyed enough to listen to,more than once,are the Koussevitsky, and Hanson,of course.

As I recall, there is at least one surviving example of Piston conducting; his Piano Concertino with Sanroma (as I recall) at the piano. It is at Harvard in a collection of materials donated by Fassett (or at least that was my recollection). I have a list of what was donated at home if anyone is interested.

To the best of my knowledge, Piston rarely conducted. He did conduct the Boston Symphony on at least two occasions, the first performances of his First Suite for Orchestra and First Symphony. As far as I know, those performances, from the 30's, do not survive.

I would be curious to know what Piston you have conducted by Koussevitzky. As far as I know, only the Prelude and Allegro for Organ and Strings was issued on disc. I also have two live performances of the Third with Koussevitzky and a broadcast rehearsal of same. Also have an interview with Piston where he discusses that rehearsal broadcast. If there is anything else out there I would love to hear it.

Karl