Re: [ARSCLIST] Lossy compression losing quality (was Re: [ARSCLIST] Pristine Audio and the Milllennials . . .)

On 11/12/07, Howard Friedman wrote:

> Hello, Richard,
>
> My God, the WAV file is more than 10 times larger than the MP3 file!
> Where does the loss occur, treble or bass or both? How much? Can I
> hear the difference?

The loss is supposed to be all the sounds that you can't hear because
another instrument is playing more loudly at the same time.

Whether you can hear the difference depends on how much compression has
been applied and how good your playback eqipment is.

To get a visual equivalent, try saving a photo from Photoshop (or
similar) as JPG files with various quality settings. The principles of
MP3 and JPG are essentially the same. You will see that at high quality
settings, very little is lost, while at the lowest quality the picture
is wrecked. The same happens with lossy audio (or video).

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx