Re: [ARSCLIST] Question: Your 78s on eBay???

OK actually here is mine.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140183689400&ssPageName=STRK:MESO:IT&ih=004

Actually the other ones are blue shellac Columbia sets,I wanted to bid on,but didn't want to spend the money on.These did go for over $175.00.I am not intending to look at eBay for a while,I have other things to do.but there will be other such sales,I guarantee you.I was also watching the Kulenkampff Beethoven Romances Telefunken set (Which I have minus the album binder.).go for 100 Euros and change.I could easily sell my Nippon Telefunken Kulenkampff Tchaikovsky set  for as much or more.Desirable Victor scroll sets go fo $50-75 ,as do a lot of better single records.Have you tried to buy an Electrola Oswald Kabasta 78 (I bought one in a boxlot of one Euro 78s a few years back on eBay.)  lately ? The last one I saw was $50.00.I have seen early Telefunken Keilberth sets (I own one.) sell twice for over $300.00 each.Prices will continue to climb.

Most of the better 78s are sold by people in Argentina,and Uruguay,at $50.00 and up,for single records.Them old Nazis obviously hauled a lot of shellac down to South America with them.They wouldn't put these prices on them,if they didn't sell.

I'm sorry I didn't save links to the completed auctions.I don't usually do this.

Bottom line,early electrical classical 78s are becoming a very hot commodity.If you pay any attention to eBay over any amount of time,even a few weeks,you would know this.If need be,I can give you a couple of dealers to contact who can verify this.

This is almost 2008.It ain't the early 90s anymore,when these records sat around gathering dust by the score at thrift stores,until some dedicated nut took them home,or they ended up in the landfill.I don't know if it was here,or on the Google group,that I mentioned one of the sets,I rescued from going into a Goodwill trash compactor,was a 1938 Artur Schnabel Beethoven Society set,with a signed ,period Victor publicity photo taped to the inside front cover.

Since those days there has been a proliferation of magazines,reissue CDs,and  music sharing websites with 78 transfers.spawning a whole new generation of 78  collectors.Mostly twenty-somethings.

I was nearly two weeks behind on my email.Not only did I have no computer for nearly two weeks,but up until last week,I had been very,very sick,due to a serious septic blood infection,before that,it was five months of bacterial meningitis.Now my Rheumatic Heart Diseases is coming back.If you recall that "Asperger's Syndrome" thread here about a year and a half ago,I came out here as an autistic.I am one of the approximate 25% of autistics,who also have severe autoimmune disease,similar to a primary immune deficiency.I am more concerned right now with finding the right cardiologist,and trying to start a new life as an autism activist.I answered this out of respect to Don Tait,whom I greatly admire.There have been a couple of  threads here about digital transfers,and such I have found very very interesting,but there are other things here I don't always want to get involved in.Frankly,I have no idea how this escalated to this point.

                                  Roger

John Wiser <jicotea@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Let's try mailing it and see if you continue to ignore the question. If you do,
we shal know
what conclusion to draw, Roger.

cheers
John Wiser
ceeclef@xxxxxxxxx

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
 wrote in message
> I'm just glad somebody else here reads AlterNet.

Since the thread got carried downstream you may have missed the question asked
by "harpsichordian," Don Tait, and myself. On
11/8 you wrote:
          BTW.I recently sold a couple of 78 sets on eBay,that went for $105.and
$170.
...and we are all on tenterhooks wanting to know chapter and verse. Page links
will do nicely, thanks.
--
John Wiser
ceeclef@xxxxxxxxx