Re: [ARSCLIST] Audio History In a Nutshell?

Tracking force can be increased. IMO the issue is much more stylus profile
than tracking force. Modern styli are designed for much narrower grooves.

-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Roger and Allison Kulp
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 12:35 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Audio History In a Nutshell?

http://www.google.com/products?q=USB+turntable&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.moz
illa:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1
"Steven C. Barr(x)" <stevenc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: ----- Original Message
-----
From: "Roger and Allison Kulp"
> Have you considered buying a USB turntable/record player ?

First...never SEEN such an animal, that I recall...!
Second...used, for many years, a similar setup to what I'm trying to
assemble currently. A ceramic cartridge has about a 1-volt output...
which is what a "Line In" input expects. I suspect I may have made
some errors in what got soldered to what...?!
Third...I've always found that modern-day magnetic cartridges don't
do (at least audibly, anyway) a really good job of reproducing the
content of vintage 78's...I suspect this may be due to the extremely
light tracking pressure...?!
Steven C. Barr