Re: [ARSCLIST] Pristine Audio (?!)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roger and Allison Kulp" <thorenstd124@xxxxxxxxx>

What happened to #3 in both the post and its reply...?!
...scb

> OK Tom,let me tackle a few of these points :
>
> I once had a long telephone  conversation,with a guy who recorded,and
co-produced a lot of those great sounding records,for labels like Estrus,and
Dionysus,in the 1990s.He told me that they started with the goal of trying to
make records that sounded as close as possible,to the old surf,garage, country,
and 60s punk 45s,they grew up on,that came out of tiny labels.Some who didn't
know better,called these records lo-fi,yet some eventually popped up on best
record lists,from publications like Stereophile.

> The people who recorded these records were a mishmash of souls,from various
sources.Many,being record collectors,were also tube/vintage audio freaks.Some
were people who had worked,in lower capacities,for big labels.

> The records were largely recorded on vintage equipment,some it rescued from
alleys,where it destined for the landfill,and lovingly restored,like a '57
Chevy,until it sounded finer than well-tuned headers.All of this was out of
love.This was "the kewl factor" you speak of.

> I don't know about Daptone,but I would assume it was something similar with
them.Obviously they pride themselves on this,too.

> Point number two,is largely due to the consolidation of  the music business in
the hands of  3-4 major global corporations.It doesn't matter what the product
is, the bigger the corporation,the less they care abut either the people who
work for them,creating a quality product,or fostering an interest in the
business,in the next generation.The corporation is like The Borg in "Star
Trek:The Next Generation" their #1 priority is assimilation of anybody who gets
in their way.Their #2 priority, is to buy off  governments,with graft,and
lobbyists,to help write industry-specific laws.

> Point number four is largely due to the fact it has been nigh on thirty
years,since there has been any radical new developments in music.Technology
yes,but not music.Years of stagnation,will eventually lead to a dying
industry.Especially one that is run by old men,whose mindset,and business model
is stuck back in the era,of the 8-Track tape.The industry is dying,and so is the
RIAA.They are a mortally wounded beast,randomly striking out,in its death
throes,in an attempt to take as many people down with them,as possible.They have
seen the future,and have seen they will have no part in it.