Re: [ARSCLIST] Pristine Audio (?!)

Maybe you should talk to the people who used to record all those analog indie rock records back in the 90s,or maybe these guys : http://www.daptonerecords.com/

From their website:

ABOUT DAPTONE
                     Dear fellow funk enthusiasts and soul searchers everywhere,
                     DAPTONE RECORDS--that little indie label that could, would and certainly should--continues to bring you the tastiest, most delectable nuggets of Soul, Funk, Gospel and Afrobeat to be found on a vinyl platter. Armed with recipes culled from a former life as Desco Records, we at Daptone earnestly strive to serve only the finest music analog tape can offer.
                     Musician-owned and run, our Brooklyn-based family of soul-drenched talent channels the spirits of bygone powerhouses like Stax and Motown into gilded moments of movement and joy, be they delivered by the likes of Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings, Lee Fields, Charles Bradley, Binky Griptite, the Budos Band, Naomi Davis or the Sugarman 3. Whether your preference is for discs 7-inches or 12, LPs or CDs, this is music to be savored and felt, again and again.
                     Hand-made and heart-stirred, our records are manufactured from the highest quality vinyl available. Our limited pressings can be purchased directly from us or from your local distributor at reasonable prices. Each record is carefully recorded and mixed by the illustrious Bosco Mann to ensure only the hardest, truest sound found this side of the Atlantic. Daptone Records continues to take pride in what we do, and we thank you for your support.
                     Sincerely,
                     Gabriel Roth & Neal Sugarman

                                 Roger

Tom Fine <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: There is also a rapidly declining skill-set in using analog playback equipment, combined with a
declining pool of good-condition equipment.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Phillips"
Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 12:56 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Pristine Audio (?!)

Sometimes I think that mastering (or remastering) skills are decreasing
at a rate similar to the rate of decline in the quality of recording
engineers. As the 'old school' talent retires, the younger replacement
talent has never learned fully to deal with the effort to use the holes
in the sides of ones' head. Instead there is the mouse and automatic
digital tools. The most disappointing thing is that it isn't the tools
that are the problem. They are far, far better than they have ever been.
It is the people, the attitudes, the 'easy way out' laziness that is the
most disappointing.

Scott