Re: [ARSCLIST] Pristine Audio (?!)

I meant a good, solid functional return on the hardware investment, w/o
extra cost for prestige, mystique, etc.

-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Don Cox
Sent: Saturday, December 08, 2007 6:12 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Pristine Audio (?!)

On 06/12/07, Ward Duffield wrote:

> There's also a whole separate issue of not even knowing WHAT to use to
> hear things properly. Notice in Mike Casey's report that a few pages
> are spent talking about "proper listening environment."
>
> Is there any consensus on cost-effective, accurate speakers?

Define "cost-effective".

If you mean "cheap", I doubt if there are any cheap accurate speakers.

If you mean "expensive but justified by results and by time not wasted"
then there are several. The Quad electrostatic speakers are certainly
accurate, for example - but they are expensive, and work best with well
designed high power amplifiers, in a large room.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx