Re: [ARSCLIST] Pathe 12" Waldorf-Astoria DO

usually the orchestra was associated with bandleader Joseph Knecht--check
Rust's Dance Bands vol. 1.
Dick

Steven Smolian <smolians@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx>
12/05/2007 02:51 PM
Please respond to
Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx>

ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[ARSCLIST] Pathe 12" Waldorf-Astoria DO

I just received a Pathe Actuelle  12" 78, 15105.  It contains Chabrier's
Habanera (originally a piano piece, here orchestrated similarly to that by
the composer) and the March of the Toys from Herbert's "Babes in Toyland."

The performing group is credited as the Waldorf-Astoria Concert Orchestra.
It sounds like 20 or so musicians.

Who conducts?  What was this doing on Pathe as a 12"?   Something here
smells fishy- another group in disguise.

I can't say I've seen many other 12" Actuelles.  Is there a story behind
this?

Steve Smolian