Re: [ARSCLIST] 100K+ Jazz records going to Oberlin

Tom Fine <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

***By the way, for the librarians on this list, you should take an afternoon some time and see how many of your circulating CD's are easily replaced. You might be horrified to find that many of them are
out of print, especially if you have a large classical or jazz collection in circulation.

  Indeed, it is interesting to see how many used discs will sell for $50 or more on Amazon.

  Some years ago when I still had the responsibility for oversight of our library's CD collection, we acquired a substantial gift of about 5,000+ discs. Many of them were third copies. I had planned to add them to the collection, but the music librarian intervened and got a ruling that only second copies could be added. I tried, with no success, to point out that there were concerns over the longevity of the discs and their playability once they became compromised, but as usual, the powers that were, paid no attention to me. As far as I know many of those discs, many of which are now out of print, were sold at our surplus sales.

  Karl