Re: [ARSCLIST] 100K+ Jazz records going to Oberlin

  ***its complete recorded contents will be transferred to digital files.

  Why, and who on earth is going to pay for such project?

  So often I read similar pronouncements. I assume such statements are made to please donors. But then I wonder, how can an institution like Oberlin make such a statement? 100,000 discs...times about $50 a transfer per disc (at bargain basement rates) equals...about $5M. Then add in the cataloging, at about $25 a disc, about another $2.5M...then add in the incidentals like storage, both for the item and the digital files...so are we not talking about a total of approximately $10M? I wonder, does Oberlin even have the infrastructure; staff, equipment, expertise, etc. for such a project?

  Do they really have the money or are they just speaking from ignorance? Then one wonders, how much of such a collection has already been digitized and released in the CD format. Am I missing something?

  Just curious.

  Karl