Re: [ARSCLIST] annotated bibliography on recorded sound collections

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ethan Clauset" <ethan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Hi, I'm working on an annotated bibliography of writing about
> recorded sound archives & collections.  I've looked at Valerie
> Forrestal's and Suzanne Stover's bibliographies, any other
> suggestions are appreciated.

Library-held or privately-held collections?

As well, be aware that there are two similar-in-appearance but
VERY different-in-function types of phonorecord databases!
The first is the catalog of the given collection (some are
web-accessible)...while the second is a DISCOGRAPHIC database,
listing data on all (or as near so as possible) phonorecords
that are part of given "sub-sets" (i.e. "All records cut in
Lithuania prior to 1960" or "All records made by artists whose
surname starts with 'X'" or such").

The difference is that a CATALOG database is a list of all
(usually) phonorecords held by a given institution or individual...
and, as such, refers to specific entities (physical phonorecords),
often including data (price, condition, usw.) applicable ONLY to
those specific records...! OTOH, a DISCOGRAPHIC database does NOT
refer to physically-extant phonorecords (although those can be
used as data sources...!)...but, rather, includes data applicable
to some, or many, or at best ALL, examples of the listed phonorecords.

Since you would appear to be examining specific collections of
phonorecords, your interest would lie more in collecting as many
CATALOG databases as possible (although you could use discographic
databases by adding a relational field listing in which collection[s]
given phonorecords were held...?!).