Re: [ARSCLIST] Reiner and the Rolf

Don Tate is on this list. He has a draft of a CSO discography.

Steve Smolian

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Fitzgerald" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2007 8:58 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Reiner and the Rolf

At 01:00 AM 11/27/2007, you wrote:
Anyone have the recording date for Rolf Liebermann's Concerto for Jazz Band and Symphony Orchestra with Fritz Reiner, the Chicago Symphony and the Sauter Finegan Orchestra? Not in LORD (he doesn't think it's jazz..he should give it a listen, I hadn't heard it in decades and thought it sounded great). I know the date is on the RCA Gold Seal reissue but that's out in the garage or some other place that requires my putting on mukluks and a parka. The piece was premiered November 18, 1954 and probably recorded shortly thereafter.

No recording date is given. The dates given on the Gold Seal reissue are November 18, 1954 for the American premiere by Reiner/CSO in Chicago. The piece itself was premiered at the Donaueschingen Festival on October 17, 1954. I believe this was first released early in 1956 on stereo tape. The Gold Seal claims "First stereo release" but I believe that only applies to disc format. The original disc was Victor LM 1888.

Mike

mike at jazzdiscography.com www.jazzdiscography.com