Re: [ARSCLIST] An odd little record

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roger and Allison Kulp" <thorenstd124@xxxxxxxxx>
> It might be of some historical value,depending on the content,and if it is
playable.I came across one from Pepsi=Cola,that said "From our man in the
service" on the label,and was from 1942 or '43.The lamination on it was so far
gone,that it was unplayable.I would assume this was a laminated disc,given the
legendary shellac shortage during the war,that led to all those millions of
Robert Johnson 78s,and imported 1909 John Barbirolli cello 78s,being ground up
to paint jeeps and bombs.

Actually, these records were usually cut at USO's and similar facilities...
very often just before the GI in question shipped out to a war zone. I have
one of the Pepsi-Cola ones, and another one which advertises a brand of
shaving gear (which I can't recall). All of these that I have seen were
recorded onto plastic-coated cardboard discs...applied after the advertising
had been printed on the blank.

In actuality, these are a sort of "sub-variety" of the many small recording
blanks which could be cut at many fairs or tourist sites for 25 cents...