Re: [ARSCLIST] Same thing both sides

I can remember a Quintessence LP that was supposed to contain Gershwin's Conceto in F and Rhapsody in Blue, per the jacket and labels, but which in fact was something else entirely (can't remember what). And I programmed it on the all night classical show on CHFI without auditioning it (who needs to audition those?) and it had aired a couple of times before one of the operators noticed that there were too many tracks on the second side. (Yes, the program was voice tracked.)

dl

Punto wrote:
I can't cite it precisely, since I seem to have gotten rid of it (guess why), but I had a recording of the list Dante Symphony that had precisely this peculiarity. It chagrins me to say that it took me quite a while to realize that I was listening to the first side a second time, but it finally sank in. There aren't too many different recordings of this piece, so I doubt it would be all that hard to track down. Looking in Canfield, I see Lehel and the Budapest SO on Westminster that rings a bell. My replacement, George Sebastian conducting the Concerts Colonne on Urania seems to be in order, if a bit dim in the sonic department.

Anyone else fall for this particular bargain-bin reject?

Peter Hirsch

David Lennick wrote:
Anyone ever run across a record that has accidentally been pressed with the same thing on each side? Not a promo, jukebox record, theatre use disc or the like. I just picked up Capitol P 18002, Beethoven's 3rd Piano Concerto played by Ventislav Yankoff, and wondered why the first movement (side 1) took up two bands. Well, gang..each side has the second and third movement! Not from the same stamper either..side 1 is P1-18002-D5 and side 2 is P2-18002-D2.

I have a Stokowski album where this occurred as well (United Artists..both sides play Schelomo in the mono version. Which as far as I'm concerned is twice too often, but that's my problem.)

dl