To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 11:16 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Leader tape

At 10:52 PM 2007-11-20, Michael Biel m.biel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
At 07:29 PM 2007-11-20, Eric Jacobs wrote:
FullCompass shipped me 10 reels of paper leader on October 5, 2007

Although mastering studios required paper leader for tapes sent for disc mastering, if I remember correctly the ARSC AAA archival guidelines manual disapproves of paper leader for archival storage. Hydrolysis and expansion/contraction was the reason. It especially shouldn't be used at the core. Any AAA members here remember specifically?

I certainly would not use plastic leader at the core...too many reels have had the oxide on the first turn get pulled off onto the plastic leader.

It's a bit of being caught between a rock and a hard place. I have played a large quantity of tapes with paper leader and other than the splices failing after a baking on the paper leader, I can't recall any damage that I attributed to the paper, but I've seen 3M, Maxell, and Ampex all deposit oxide on the plastic leader. The Maxell were my masters which really ticked me off as it had otherwise been an almost perfect tape. Fortunately I had a safety and edited it together. I had to fix an Ampex reel with plastic leader, but I fortunately there was a repeat of the opening phrase a few measures in, so I copied it. The client was happy.

Please don't use plastic leader -- at least not the 3M stuff.

Cheers,

Richard