Re: [ARSCLIST] Vanguard Classics reappears in 2 cd sets

Hello, all.

Actually, there was at least one set of Command recordings issued on CD by
MCA in their awful "Double Decker" budget series in the late 80s.   Set
#MCAD2-99810 has typically horrible (assumedly-but-unmarked-as-such) AAD sound on
Beethoven Sym. #2, but the other works, Beethoven symphonies 4 and 7, plus Leonore
Overture #3, all performed by the Pittsburgh Symphony conducted by William
Steinberg and "previously released on Command Classics," carry the following
note on the case:   "Remixed and transferred to digital directly from original
master 35mm magnetic film."   Also: "Supervision of digital remastering by
Martin Fleischmann" and "Remastering Engineer: Doug Schwartz."

The sound is pretty good.   Not as nice as the better of the Mercuries from
mag film, but very enjoyable, with a very full (bold?) lower string sound and
very present woodwinds.   It's a shame the 2nd wasn't transferred from mag
film, as it's the best performance in the bunch, IMHO. The sound on the 2nd is
horribly shrill.

If you are trying to find this 2-disc set on eBay or Amazon, be aware that
the numbers on the discs and jewel boxes do not correlate with the number on the
cardboard sleeve that surronds the two jewel boxes.   Individual disc catalog
numbers are:

MCAD2-9810-A and B.

Matthew Lutthans
Seattle, WA, USA

Tom Fine wrote:

Hi Scott:

Last I heard, all the films that still exist are in the vault in Germany. I
don't want to speculate what condition anything is in. As you know, Universal
made 3-channel SACD's of some Mercury films in Germany. As I understand it, the
SACD project is not active right now. No Command films were ever turned into
CD's or SACD's that I know of. I was told they are not in good shape. I don't
know any facts -- even second-hand -- about the Everest films.

I should point out that from everything I've read, SACD sales have been
underwhelming so don't count on record companies having too much interest to spend
too much for that kind of thing.

Regarding the Command material, if 2-track "cutting masters" were made, it
could be reissued for less production costs. This was what was done with the
Virgil Fox material. Though one generation removed from the master films, the
2-tracks will sound a lot better than a lot of stuff that came later.

-- Tom Fine

 See what's new at
http://www.aol.com