Re: [ARSCLIST] Panorama of Musique Concrete..le Help!

David Lennick <dlennick@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

  ***Where can I find a copy?

  Try abebooks.com  They have several copies for sale. No doubt former library copies...one looks like it is for sale by Martin Silver!

  Karl

> Have you checked Kurtz Myer's "Record Ratings" and the later collections
> published by Prentice-Hall, if I recall right. He researched
> misascribed and incompletely identified LPs in his precis of reviews for
> Notes (the Music Library Association" Magaizne), later collected in the
> above books.
>
> Steve Smolian
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "David Lennick"
> Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 10:19 AM
> Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Panorama of Musique Concrete..le Help!
>

>> Volume 1 is what I have, with the titles as you've listed them.
>> Problem is, there are 9 tracks on Side 1 and 4 tracks on Side 2, but
>> the jacket and labels list 8 and 5 respectively, and the descriptions
>> on the jacket match the titles that are clearly identifiable. There's
>> no description for Musical Box, just an acknowledgment of its
>> existence, and the notes refer to ending each side with specific pieces.
>>
>> Here's what I believe to be the correct order, but if anyone knows
>> which track is "Musical Box" (I've guessed), please let me know!
>>
>> CLASSICAL:
>> 1. Trifle in C (Henry & Schaeffer) (1:52)
>> INSTRUMENTAL STUDIES:
>> 2. Drum--Fleeting Percussion (Henry) (2:12)
>> 3. Flute--Mexican Flute (Schaeffer) (3:07)
>> Two Aspects of the Piano:
>> 4. i. Study for Piano (Schaeffer) (3:55)
>> 5. ii. Finale of the Concerto of Ambiguities (Henry) (2:03)
>> 6. Unidentified..possibly Musical Box (Philippe Arthuys) (3:29)
>> EXPRESSIONISM 1952:
>> Music Without a Title (Henry):
>> 7. 5th Movement (3:15)
>> 8. 6th Movement (2:59)
>> PRIMITIVE 1948:
>> 9. Study for Whirligigs (Henry) (or is it Musical Box?) (1:53)
>> DRAMATIC CANTATA:
>> 10. The Veil of Orpheus (Henry) (15:35)
>> THREE DIRECTIONS (Schaeffer):
>> 11. a. Sound Effects--Railway Study (2:49)
>> 12. b. Poetic--Pathetic Study (3:21)
>> 13. c. A Single Sound Source (2:52)
>>
>> Spike Jones is clearly audible in track 8 (chunks of "Down in Jungle
>> Town").
>>
>> dl
>>
>> Karl Miller wrote:
>>> David Lennick wrote:
>>> ***Is anyone out there familiar enough with the Ducretet-Thomson
>>> Panorama of Musique Concrete LP to be able to tell me what the hell
>>> is actually on each side?
>>> Is this the disc? DTL. 93090 also 8 also 320 C 100
>>> The OCLC record states:
>>> 1. Classical: Trifle in C (Henry and Schaeffer). 2. Instrumental
>>> studies: (a) Drum--Fleeting percussion (Henry); (b) Flute--Mexican
>>> flute (Schaeffer); (c) Two aspects of the piano; (i) Study for piano
>>> (Schaeffer); (ii) Finale of the Concerto of ambiguities (Henry). 3.
>>> Expressionism 1952: Music without a title--5th and 6th movements
>>> (Henry). 4. Primitive 1948: Study for whirligigs (Schaeffer). 5.
>>> Dramatic cantata: The veil of Orpheus (Henry). 6. Three directions:
>>> (a) Sound effects--Railway study (Schaeffer); (b) Poetic--Pathetic
>>> study (Schaeffer); (c) A single sound source (Schaeffer). 7. Musical
>>> box (Arthuys).
>>> or in French
>>> Bidule en ut / Pierre Henry ; Pierre Schaeffer -- Batterie fugace
>>> / Pierre Henry -- Flûte mexicaine / Pierre Schaeffer -- Etude pour
>>> piano / Pierre Schaeffer -- Final du Concerto des ambiguités / Pierre
>>> Henry -- Tam tam III / Pierre Henry -- Musique sans titre / Pierre
>>> Henry -- Étude aux tourniquets / Pierre Schaeffer -- Le voile
>>> d'Orphée / Pierre Henry -- Étude auz chemins de fer ; Étude
>>> pathétique / Pierre Schaeffer -- Boîte à musique / Philippe Arthuys.
>>> or Volume 2 DUC 20001? also DUC 9 also LDG 1501
>>> Classique: Tam tam IV ; Musique de films: Astrologie ; 3 essais
>>> sériels ; Vocalises / Pierre Henry -- Étude / Michel Philippot --
>>> Classique: Symphonie pour un homme seul (nouvelle version) ; Morceau
>>> de genre: Oiseau R.A.I. / P. Schaeffer ; P. Henry.
>>> I may have volume one at home and can listen.
>>> ***Fun to hear Spike Jones in there..this LP was referred to in
>>> the thread on "scratching" but could actually start a new one about
>>> "sampling".
>>> Hummm....how about quodlibet...