From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Matthew Barton
Sent: Friday, November 09, 2007 3:32 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Everest Records; "For the Time Being: A Christmas
Oratorio"

On December 8, 1959, the New York Times reviewed a performance from the
previous day of "For the Time Being," a setting of W.H. Auden's poem "A
Christmas Oratorio," featuring the Collegiate Chorale and Symphony of the
Air. Claude Rains was the narrator. According to the article, the
performance (which was a premiere) was recorded by Everest Records. I can
find no indication in the Schwann or Everest catalogs that it was ever
released, though I haven't been able to consult any Everest catalogs before
1964. Does anyone have any information about this? Was the work ever
recorded by anyone else?