Re: [ARSCLIST] the origin of scratchin'

Karl Miller wrote:
I don't know the answer to the question, however, I wonder, how early was the needle scratch on the Miss Piggy exercise album?

Preceded by Monty Python, preceded yet further by Stan Freberg ("You scratched my commercial!!!!")

dl

Ok, so maybe it doesn't qualify as a musical application for scratchin...
And while I muse tounge in cheek, I have often wondered if Leroy Anderson's Sandpaper Ballet was the inspiration for needle scratchin...probably not...
Karl

Tom Fine <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In my never-ending quest for the most trivial music knowledge on the planet, I have this question ...

Who was the first rap/hip-hop artist to use a turntable, record and cartridge as a rhythm instrument, ie "scratchin'"? My guess would be Grand Master Flash's DJ or Run-DMC's DJ, but I admit not knowing the full genesis of rap.

Thanks in advance if you know the answer!

-- Tom Fine