From: Susan T Stinson [mailto:ststinso@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2007 9:02 AM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Phonograph Cylinder Storage

We use metal office file cabinets that were designed to hold 5"x8" file
cards.  There is still a 7-drawer unit on the market here - one drawer
measures 19"w x 28"long x 5 1/2" deep - and holds between 54 and 60
standard-size cylinders, in 6 rows of 9 or 10 front to back depending on
the cylinder container size. (early containers are larger and only 54
will fit).

The drawers keep light, dust, and water if the sprinklers should
activate, away from the cylinders.  Selecting a cylinder from the drawer
is simple and safe because the tops all show and none have to be shifted
around to find what you want.

I also found that a thin layer of foam or felt in the bottom of each
drawer will keep the containers from sliding around on the metal, and
absorb any impact from drawer movement.

These used to also come in 4 and 5-drawer units, and we have stacked the
4s on the 7s to use wall space where there was no more floor space!
Perhaps you can find some used units somewhere.  And I have a nice clean
fiberglass ladder to reach the top drawers where we have stacked them.

Susan