Re: [ARSCLIST] When you die...

On 01/11/07, joe@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Yet, there are so many reissues that do not sound so good for over
> processing.
>
> In this case more is not better.

I think an engineer who can make good transfers is also likely to be
more careful when using restoration software.

Obviously such software can be over-used, as could equalisation in the
purely analogue days. Some people used to think that all 78s transferred
to LP needed a savage treble cut. (In fact, there are still a few who do
this.)

> Don Cox wrote:
>> On 27/10/07, joe@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>>> or the value may be in that the original record sounds BETTER than
>>> the recently reissued version with all the latest "restoration"
>>>
>> That could be true if you had a better turntable than the engineer
>> who made the transfer, if you selected a more suitable stylus, if you
>> have better judgement of pitch for selecting the exact speed, and if
>> you had a cleaner copy of the disc.
>>
>> The record itself has no sound (try holding one up to your ear). It
>> has to be played on something, by somebody. That's where the
>> variables come in.
>>
>> Possibly optical scanning will reduce some of those variables. Pitch
>> will always be a problem, I think. One reason JRT Davies did well was
>> that, having played in a band that was similar to the ones he was
>> retoring, he could tell what key a side was supposed to be in and set
>> the pitch accordingly. No computer software will substitute for
>> musical ability here.
>>
>> Regards
Regards
--