Re: [ARSCLIST] Some questions on long-term storage of audio CDs

On 27/10/07, Jon Noring wrote:

> Tom wrote:
>
>> I bet there were more than 40,000 released 1982-present BUT I would
>> also bet there are fewer than 40,000 still in print. It's amazing how
>> many classical titles have been taken out of print in the last few
>> years. Jazz too, for that matter.
>
> It would not surprise me if the number of commercial audio CD releases
> since 1982 (and worldwide) numbers a lot more than 40,000. Then there
> are those releases which sort of sit in the gray area between private
> releases and true commercial releases.

Don't forget I was only guessing the number of _classical_ releases.

I have no idea at all how many non-classical releases there would be.
About ten times as many? How about the Japanese market?

> I would assume that GraceNote, freeDB, etc., have some estimates, but
> so far I haven't located any information I can hang a hat on. One
> would think that somewhere there's mention of a reasonable estimate.
> Anyone here know?

What proportion of all releases do you think they cover? Half?

> (In building an archive where one acquires both used and new audio
> CDs, the issue of out-of-print versus in-print is not an important
> consideration. I'd like to know how many "unique" ones we may have to
> handle, plus duplicates for each unique release.)
>
> Jon Noring
Regards
--
Don Cox