To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2007 7:25 PM
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Concertapes - some more history

I ponied up some money and got copies of the Concertapes folder contents in the Leonard Sorkin archives at U Wisconsin.

A few highlights:

1. Steve Smolian, right again -- Concertapes was acquired by Seymor Solomon/Everest, looks like in 1963. Concertapes put out what looks like it's last brochure in what seems to be early 1963 (brochure #163) and the same titles were listed in a later Everest brochure, seems to be from late 1963 or early 1964.

2. Company financial statements in 1961-62 show a profitable concern. There was a payout of stockholder equity to shareholders in late 1962, taking profits before sale of the company.

3. Concertapes also carried recordings of the "NBC Symphony of the Air," which I believe were Toscanini's players after the Maestro left. I wonder if these were made by David Sarser?

4. Despite listing the "Fine Arts Symphony Orchestra" for some orchestra recordings -- I think we've discussed this was probably most of the Chicago Symphony in all but name -- this performer is not listed in any Concertape catalogs in the file, including one from the mid or late 50's. The Fine Arts Quartet (Sorkin and 3 other Chicago Symphony string players) was listed as the artist on a series of tapes.

So, this leads to another question. Were the Concertape masters acquired by the Canadian company that acquired the Everest classical masters?

-- Tom Fine