Re: [ARSCLIST] Recordings of lynchings?

----- Original Message -----
From: "phillip holmes" <insuranceman@xxxxxxxxxx>
> By the way, do you have any Vaudeville records?  If so, you better turn
> them over to the authorities for screening to make sure they don't have
> any offensive blackface routines on them.  Keeping them would mean you
> are a racist and a purveyor of racist propaganda.  They should be hidden
> in a very hard to get at place in an official government archive where
> only official people can ignore them.
>
> Personally, I hate vaudeville and find it offensive because it's
> stupid.  But that's not the point.

This, dear heart, is a banned tactic in formal debate...! IIRC, it is
called something like "reductio <??> absurdum"...in other words, taking
one's opponent's point and extending it well beyond any logical defense...!

So far, we have NO known evidence of KKK gatherings riling up their
membership by playing c.1916 78's of "N****r Blues"...?! However,
should I hear of that event eventuating, I should be VERY cautious
about allowing others access to my copy...!

It appears to me that you are claiming that YOU...(and your ilk?)
enjoy, or should enjoy, rights to unlimited freedom of speech and,
one presumes, equivalent freedom of action...?! This concept runs
into a major wall when/if one considers that a certain, albiet
small (we hope) number of humans suffer from psychopathy and/or
sociopathy...and, as a result, do NOT act in "normal" ways...!
Thus, in "worst-case scenarii," one of these parties might be
inspired by an image of a race-based lynching to attempt to carry
out the same...?!

Keep in mind the well-known cliche..."your freedom of speech MAY
only exten to the precise point where my fist and your nose happen
to intersect!"

FEH!!