Re: [ARSCLIST] Recordings of lynchings?

Thanks Trey,

I agree, we shouldn't personalize this discussion. It is a distasteful
topic but I think it is relevant to archivists and collectors alike.
Firstly we are discussing the ethical and legal status of
representations. The custodial care of representations, including sound
recordings are our bread and butter. The question is now, whether or not
it is legal or morally justifiable to sell an image such as a postcard
of a lynching?

Some people seem to believe if they own an such an object they can
pretty much do anything they please with it, including auction it on
Ebay. I strongly disagree.

Let's be rational about this. An appalling crime is committed. Another
nasty crime (the manufacture and distribution of the card) is committed.
Someone resells that card - another crime is perpetrated.
Saying the FBI "probably" have the evidence,  or the crime was
"probably" solved, or that it was so long ago that we shouldn't worry
about it -  is pure supposition.

The nature of this image is similar in many ways to child pornography,
it shows a specific crime and it should not be permitted to be
circulated as if it were a normal cultural product. In this instance the
rights of the deceased's family must outweigh the right of a vendor. It
is safe to say the family of the deceased would be appalled by such a
transaction.

Consider the crime from the point of view of the family. They are
deeply traumatized by the crime. They are a further traumatized  by the
gratuitous creation and circulation of images of the event. As if that
is not enough, years go by and people are still trading these hurtful
images.

Archivist and collectors should be aware of their legal and moral
obligations in dealing with images like these.

JK

>>> treybunn2@xxxxxxxxx 30/10/2007 6:11 a.m. >>>
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the "Without Sanctuary" exhibit
from a few years back that dealt with this very topic.  There is
plenty of information about it online.  The first page of this Google
search leads to many resources:
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=gmail&q=lynching%20photographs%20exhibit

Warning: the images are indeed disturbing, but the articles discuss
the subject matter in a very thorough and introspective manner,
including the merits of allowing this material to be seen.

That said, it seems like we're seriously straying from anything to do
with recorded sound, and tensions are already running high on the
listserv and bordering on personal attacks.  Since no one seems to be
able to answer the original question put forth (are there recordings
of these crimes available, not "should there be"), I respectfully
suggest that we drop this and move on.

---------
Trey Bunn
Audiovisual Conservator