From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of alessandro bellafiore
Sent: Sunday, October 28, 2007 7:12 AM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Modern Cylinder Phonograph

Sorry if I did not answer before.
The server rejected many times my mail...

We were speaking about the problem concerning acoustic playback.

Well,
I think that if you record with the microphone into the horn you'll
capture all the inner horn reverberation.
The sound inside the horn is strongly compressed and its "evolution"
from the diaphragm to the horn end it's quite complex.
If you record into the horn many frequencies may not be at the right
volume or not audible at all.
Maybe recording in this way, due to the horn reverberation, may give a
sense ambience (as audiophiles call it) and make the recording
pleasant to be listen but I'm not shure it's correct.
I think that if you want the sound to be enriched by a natural reverb
(and not a reverb put in editing) it may be reasonable to record in a
good recording room.