[ARSCLIST] Open Call - Forming a New York Chapter of ARSC

Hello All :-)

And greetings from warm and sunny New York City...

At this past Tuesday's AES New York Section meeting (featuring a
presentation on the subject of audio archiving), a number of ARSC members
who happened to be in attendance were speaking after the meeting when the
subject of forming a New York Chapter of ARSC came up.

There are certainly many active "members in good standing" of ARSC in New
York City and the surrounding areas, and based on the interest in the Audio
Archiving workshops and tutorials as well as the technical committee and
standards committee meetings at the recent New York AES Convention (not to
mention the large turnout for the AES Section meeting on archiving), we feel
that there is enough interest and activity in the New York area to sustain
the formation of a New York Chapter of ARSC.

SO

To this end, I would like to see a virtual "show of hands" here, as the ARSC
bylaws say that we need 10 members in good standing to form a local chapter.
 There were 7 of us talking after the AES meeting, so I'm hoping that there
are at least 3 more of us (and hopefully many more) who would like to sign
on to such an effort.

At the suggestion of the other NY ARSC-ies who discussed this idea at the
AES meeting, I have gotten in touch with Sam Brylawski, Peter Shambarger,
and David Seubert, who have all given us the basic encouraging "thumbs-up"
to pursue this further.

The bylaws have a couple of other steps to create a chapter, such as drawing
up a "governing document" (Karen Fishman @ LOC is kindly sending me the DC
Chapter's document as an example), and submitting a proposal for a local
chapter to be approved by the emebership at the next national meeting this
March in Palo Alto.

We already have several kind offers of meeting space, and it would be great
to get the ball rolling by having a get-together some time in the
not-too-distant future to see who-all in the New York area might be interested.

Please respond to both the ARSC-list AND my personal e-mail - DaveNolanAudio
AT earthlink DOT net (spelling it out to avoid the spambots), as I think it
would be good for other list members to see what the level of interest is
like.

Later tonight I will also send out a version this message out to all ARSC
members in the New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut member lists in the
ARSC directory (assuming that not everybody in the directory is on this
listserv - apologies in advance if you get duplicate messages when I do
this).  I will be happy to coordinate some preliminary activity to get this
rolling - and I would be incredibly glad to see a New York Chapter of ARSC
get off the ground :-)

Thanks - and hope to hear from you soon!

dave nolan
92nd Street Y
nyc